Consultant, ESP Consulting
(2009 – Present)
Analyst, PA Consulting (2007 – 2009)
- Member of PA’s Energy Practice with experience of international energy clients
Managing Director, Oxford Student Services Limited (2006 - 2007)
- Managing Director of the commercial arm of Oxford University Students Union
Education & Qualifications
- BA Hons, St John's College, Oxford
Tom Wrathmell is a highly qualified Energy Consultant with experience of working with international energy companies. He has developed particular experience in Energy Trading and Risk Management as well as Regulation and Competition analysis. Recent engagements have included review and development of risk governance and procedures for a major European utility, in-depth competition analysis and energy auction trustee roles for a European regulator. Tom joined ESP from PA Consulting where he worked on emissions policy and carbon trading, market research as well as financial modelling and fundamental analysis/forecasting. He also has experience of providing programme and stakeholder management support having worked on several large government and public sector assignments.
With ESP Consulting
- Seconded to the Strategy Department within a global energy company (confidential) where responsibilities include coordination of annual strategy planning, development of business cases and competitor analysis
- Part of Trustee team for EC Gas Auctions of a Gas Release Programme in 2010 and 2011. Member of the independent valuation team over the past 2 years for valaution of the intrinsic and extrinsic value of the released gas as well as independent monitoring of the bidding process. Authored the annual market impact assessment of the auction and an analysis of the competitiveness of the particular national gas market and neighbouring gas hubs.
- Over an 8 month period, part of ESP team which supported Alpiq on a comprehensive review and re-development of corporate risk governance and policies following the merger of Atel and EOS. Particularly worked on development of new policies for New Products and Credit Risk.
- Part of ESP team which supported Ofgem on their liquidity study of the UK electricity wholesale market. Specific work included research and analysis of Nord Pool and EEX spot markets, market making functions, and comparisons in Asia Pacific markets.
- Provided research input to a management seminar on Supply Operations in vertically integrated business models for a European client.
While with PA Consulting, Tom worked for a number of energy and government sector clients. Energy sector assignments include:
- Supporting a US client on development of strategies for entering the global emissions trading marketplace.
- Providing overview of EU energy markets, with a particular focus on power generation, trading and carbon markets as part of an opportunity search.
- Financial modelling and forecasting on a variety of assignments for a US client.
- Member of PA team assisting an oil major in structuring and selecting a series of performance metrics for a board level audience.
- Supporting the client team at a Northern European energy company in analysis and evaluation of vendor offerings for a new Energy Trading Risk Management system.