Director, ESP Consulting Nordic (2013)
Manager of Strategy Implementation and Performance Management, DONG Energy Renewables (2011-2013)
- Key member of the Renewables Strategy management team in a period of very high growth and geographic expansion
Manager of Project Valuation, DONG Energy Renewables (2009-2011)
- Key member of the Finance management team and responsible for the commercial basis for 8 major offshore wind related investments
Senior Associate, McKinsey & Company (2006-2009)
- Central role on serving selected energy clients
- About half of the projects dedicated to renewable energy and the rest to broader industry and functional exposure
Education & Qualifications
- MSc Economics – University of Copenhagen (2005)
- MSc Finance & Economics – London School of Economics (2004)
Michael Selchau Sanggaard is a Director of ESP Consulting Nordic with extensive energy sector experience, particularly focussing on renewable technologies. Prior to ESP Consulting, he held senior roles with DONG Energy during a period of intense focus on renewable investments, having joined that company from Mckinsey where he was a management consultant. Michael brings strong analytical and project management skills which he has applied to a range of commercial and strategic issues across the value chain for a variety of companies including utilities. He has hands-on experience in solving complex analytical problems supported by in-depth modelling expertise in areas such as business case development, tax optimization, cost of energy, performance management, forecast modelling and value optimization. He is accustomed to operating at all levels of large organisations from senior management to specialists in line functions.
Renewables has been the main sector of focus during Michael's career to date. In particular, he brings extensive experience in wind energy both on- and off-shore, having advised or worked directly for suppliers, utilities, energy companies and end customers.
Oil & Gas
Michael has led strategic projects covering all energy types as well as structuring and optimization of oil & gas pricing models.
Business Model & Organization
Michaels industry experience in the wind energy sector, include design and implementation of new businesses including overall business model, value chain positioning, partnerships, project model, operations and competence development.
Michael brings extensive hands-on modelling experience, principally in the following areas:
- Business Case Development: Experience ranges from simple multiple based screening models to very sophisticated and detailed DCF models for different asset types including wind parks (onshore and offshore), purpose built vessels/ships, airports and harbours;
- Performance Management: Michael has carried out several projects end-to-end from identification of source data, through to user interaction and design and development of the final performance dashboard/cockpit as well as integration with wider corporate and group level decision processes.
- Forecasting: Experience includes developing and communicating models to support value optimisation, investment decisions, corrective action plans and incentive schemes.
- Investment Decisions: Helped establish and improve decision making for large capital intensive investments with main levers of process design, competence development and documentation.