Consultant, ESP Consulting
(May 2010 – present)
Energy Underwriter, Markel International (2007 – 2010)
- Insured Physical Damage, Drilling Operations, Business Interruption and Liabilities for Upstream and Midstream Energy Companies
Education & Qualifications
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics, University of Bristol
- Dip CII
Melanie is a highly qualified Energy Consultant. Since joining in May 2010 she has worked for several clients where she has been involved in developing innovative energy futures and insurance products, along with the creation of trading and risk management instruments. She has further extensive experience in the Energy Insurance sector from her previous role as an Energy Underwriter for a syndicate in Lloyd’s of London. As well as underwriting, her experience extends to windstorm modelling for Gulf of Mexico hurricane-exposed accounts and playing a large part in the creation of an in-house premium rating model. She holds a degree in Mathematics having focused on Optimisation, Game Theory, Logic and Quantum Mechanics.
- Seconded to globalCOAL for a 5 month period supporting on the development and implementation of a physically delivered coal futures contract. Also assisted in the design and development of an innovative new insurance-type product to mitigate credit risk during transportation and physical delivery.
- As part of ESP team, supported a global energy company (confidential) on the development of a model for Economic Capital allocation between energy trading books. Also worked on the development of a tool for monitoring physical energy trades and positions.
- As part of ESP team, supported the trustee on an EC gas auction for a gas release programme, in particular, working on independent review of valuations of gas swing contracts prior to auction.
- As part of ESP team, assisted ESB in the assessment of balancing costs for a domestic (Irish) gas portfolio.
Whilst in the Insurance industry, Melanie's roles included:
- Underwriting insurance policies with authority to write up to $60m per occurence. Policies included Up- and Mid-stream Energy companies' physical assets, constructions, drilling operations and associated liabilities;
- Developing an in-house premium rating tool for physical damage, business interruption and construction risks;
- Windstorm modelling and product development for changes in insurance policy conditions;
- Book analysis and monitoring of risks.